Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Another "Thick Description"

I certainly hope that "Better late than never" is an acceptable phrase with my study.  It's been a crazy week and a half, and though I've been keeping data and videoing my observations, I haven't had time to post about them on here.  I blame it on my perfectionism.  I don't want to work on something until I have enough time to do it all and do it right.  Unfortunately, in a life as busy as mine right now, that time rarely comes around.  I'm working on it...


This thick description came from a day last week when we were finishing up our first unit.  The unit focused on the Earth, and to review, I had students do an activity called "10 Most Important Words".  This activity is from a book called Content Counts!: Developing Disciplinary Literacy Skills, K-6 by Jennifer Altieri (2011).  For this activity, students work with partners to come up with the 10 most important words about a topic.  Then, all students share their words and create a graph to show which words were most popular.  You can then have discussion about which words were chosen most frequently and why.  Below is a description of the activity within my classroom...

After introducing the activity, I had students get to work and began walking around the room, taking note of what was happening.  The room was again filled with discussion and debate as students worked together to come up with the 10 most important words to describe our Earth unit.  Many students had out their learning logs and were flipping through the pages, finding key ideas and vocabulary.  Walking around the room, I noticed some reluctance of students to look for information.  In one pair, M was actively looking through her learning log for words, while E had his book open, but his head down on his desk.  In the next group, J was writing an important word down and his partner, B, was watching me make my rounds.  Both of their journals were closed.  The next group was more productive, with M writing with her learning log open while R watched and waited.  Then M passed the index card over to R and he wrote a word.  As I made my way to the back of the room, I heard some arguing and went to investigate.  Two groups were in a dispute because one group accused the other of cheating and listening to their words.  With a reminder to keep our eyes to ourselves and whisper so others don't hear our answers, I moved on to the next groups.  The pattern continued as I circled around the room.  In pairs, both students were beginning to work together, with one writing a word as the partner watched and/or looked for the word he or she wanted to add.  A couple of students ducked behind their learning logs as I came around with my camera to capture their interactions.  They are still a little camera-shy.  Some students ask questions as I pass by.  B wants to know if they can use words from when we read The Magic School Bus: Wet All Over.  She also asked for some help in remembering a word from earlier in the week. 
 
B: "What was that word from yesterday?  It was long and started with an "a"."
Me: "Atmosphere?"
B: Yeah!
 
After several minutes of collaboration with their groups, I called the students back together and had them share their words.  With each new word, we created a spot on a line plot and put an "x".  Each time a word was given after that, we added an "x" to the plot.  To help students see the breakdown of how each group responded, I even used a different color for each group's words.
 
 
The most popular words chosen along with the reasons given by the students are listed below:

  • Core - because it's the middle of the Earth
  • Crust - it's a part of our Earth
  • Gases - it's a part that happens in the clouds and a little bit on our Earth
  • Mantle - part of the inside of our Earth
  • Evaporation - it happens in the water cycle
  • Liquid - it's part of how our rain comes down
  • Earth - the unit is about the Earth
While most words were closely aligned to the main ideas of the unit, some words were listed that were irrelevant or loosely linked to the unit.  These words are listed below:
  • Sink
  • Creek
  • River
  • Toilet
  • Pool
  • Ocean
  • Aluminum
The first 6 words likely came from the list we made during our day discussing water on Earth.  We first brainstormed places where we saw/used water.  Several of these words were on the list.  I'm not sure exactly where "aluminum" came from, however.  We had a discussion about how even though these words were mentioned during our unit, they weren't exactly the most important words we found.
The students seemed to enjoy this activity, and though we had some trouble getting all students involved at the beginning, most students were engaged by the end.  This activity is great for getting students to really think about the most important ideas and vocabulary from a unit and was an excellent review for our first mini-unit.  I plan to use it again!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a cool activity. I think it is so crazy how I see the same problems with your elementary groups that I see with my eighth grade groups. Some of my groups are WAY more productive than others. Some of my groups are not very productive at all. I guess some things never change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this and seeing their work! Jennifer L. Altieri

    ReplyDelete