Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Unit 2 Assessment: Success!

Last week my students took the assessment on mini-unit 2.  The unit focused on the general structure of the solar system.  The questions and results from the assessment are listed below.

Question: What is at the center of the solar system? (Multiple choice)
  • 18/19 correct

Question: Name the 4 inner planets. (List)
  • 4 correct: 17/19
  • Only 3 correct: 2/19
  • Only 2 correct: 0
  • Only 1 correct: 0
  • None correct: 0

Question: What is one way the inner planets are alike? (Short answer)
  • 16/19 correct

Question: Name the 4 outer planets. (List)
  • 4 correct: 17/19
  • Only 3 correct: 2/19
  • Only 2 correct: 0
  • Only 1 correct: 0
  • None correct: 0

Question: What is one way the outer planets are alike? (Short answer)
  • 15/19 correct

Question: Tell one way the inner planets are different from the outer planets. (Short answer)
  • 13/19 completely correct
  • 5/19 partially correct (gave detail about 1 only, did not tell which was which, etc.)
  • 1/19 completely incorrect

Mean: 92.3%
Median: 100%
Range: 62% - 100%
Scores:
  •  100% (10 students)
  •  92% (5 students)
  •  85% (1 student)
  •  77% (1 student)
  •  69% (1 student)
  • 62% (1 student)
Notes:

  • 62% - Sarah – absent 3 days of unit
  • 69% - Kara – absent 2 days of unit

Overall, I was very happy with the scores.  Students showed an understanding of the structure of the solar system and were able to identify and describe both the inner and outer planets.  This unit was likely successful because of the increase in student engagement with the material.  Students worked with partners to read a variety of texts about the solar system.  The students read the texts with a specific purpose in mind each time.  This allowed students to focus in on the important information from each passage and remain engaged with the material as opposed to sitting and listening to me present the information.  In this unit, the students were the ones doing most of the work, and I believe it paid off.

3 comments:

  1. Those look like great results! You did a great job of breaking down each question. Just from what you have posted so far, it looks as if students were very engaged. I mentioned reading your research and your elementary perspective in my reflection paper. I think it's great to see what an elementary school teacher is doing to combine science and literacy instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Success is correct! It feels nice to realize that what you thought was correct all along. Science can be taught through reading. I have realized that discussion does, in fact, impact learning. Are you happy? Satisfied? What are your next steps after this project?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! Brittany, I'm not sure what is next. I feel relieved that I am getting some results, but am not quite satisfied yet. I feel like this is just the tip of the iceberg with this topic. I will probably continue to try to implement various methods for teaching reading and science together using what I have already learned. Hopefully we will get the new science standards out soon so I can use those to plan my instruction.

    ReplyDelete